Do-It-Yourself Camping and Sea Kayaking Trips to Pack Creek Zoological Area
You can spend 3 or more days on your own exploring the spectacular old growth forest, wilderness and wildlife that led to the creation of the Pack Creek Bear Sanctuary and the establishment of Admiralty Island National Monument, a Biosphere Reserve within the Tongass National Forest.
Pack Creek Outfitters’ owner Ken Leghorn has 30 continuous years of experience at Pack Creek as one of Alaska’s foremost wilderness guides. Ken knows how to help you plan and enjoy your own trip to this amazing area so you can do it on your own, without a guide and without being part of a group trip.
The key to this opportunity is the availability of rental kayaks and good camping on Windfall Island, located within the Pack Creek Zoological Area and just one mile from the bear sanctuary where the viewing estuary and trail to the observation tower are located. We heartily recommend you bring or rent camping equipment and spend 2 nights or more. It will literally be the experience of a life time!
- rental sea kayaks and all necessary accessories
- some camping equipment (so you can leave yours at home)
- round-trip floatplane transportation from Alaska’s capital city of Juneau
- a full information packet on where to camp and how to and how to explore Pack Creek and surrounding Kootznoowoo Wilderness.
- One Hour Meeting in Juneau prior to your trip, to review your maps, tide table, gear and itinerary and help you plan for your outing.
Interested? Go to the Trip Planning page and start preparing your adventure!
One Day Guided Bear Watching Trip - with Fortress of the Bears
Refer to our Day Trip Page if you are interested in taking a guided trip by floatplane and hiking. This is the best 6-hour wilderness outing we can recommend, literally, in all of Alaska. Combine a spectacular floatplane ride over the Admiralty Island Wilderness with 5 hours spent exploring the Pack Creek Zoological Area and brown bear viewing sites with a highly experienced wilderness guide and just 2-5 travelers. Or book this directly at packcreekbeartours.com or by calling Alaska Seaplanes at 907-789-3331.